For the Love of Tacos
Tacos are seriously one of my favorite foods. Actually, I love Hispanic food period. Who doesn’t love it, really?
After doing mission work in Central America in my college years, I fell in love with the flavors, the ingredients, and the bright colors that grace the table! As a busy working mom, I wanted to bring these flavors into our kitchen to share with my family.
I also know that “Mexican food” gets a bad wrap as an unhealthy choice that is laden with calories. But, it does not have to be so, my dear friend. We can enjoy good food with great flavors that are healthy for our bodies.
I’ve shared our FAVORITE TACO RECIPE with you because every mom should have a go-to good for you recipe for tacos!
The New Challenge
Layla (my middle child) and I have eliminated meat from our diets. I’ve also returned to using FIXATE PORTION CONTROL that I loved while doing the 21 DAY FIX. I’ve begun a SHIFT SHOP WORKOUT PROGRAM to help me to regain control over some hidden areas of indulgence in my life for truly running a HEBREWS 12 RACE.
ENTER THE CHALLENGE: This program slowly works to reduce carbs in its meal plan. You might be asking:
How do you enjoy tacos without carbs?!
How do you enjoy tacos without meat?
ENTER THE SOLUTION:
Taco Bowls with Cauliflower Rice.
I love this recipe for several reasons:
1. It is a good way to actually use LEFTOVERS for a quick and easy weeknight meal!
2. It’s also great because I can food prep everything except the avocado on the weekend and have this on the table in less than 10 minutes during the week!
3. It allows me to make a few changes in the kitchen to take one of my favorite recipes and create an even healthier version for my family.
4. More veggies and good choices equal more energy for our bodies!
5. It works with the CONTAINER SYSTEM and fits perfectly in my meal plan.
6. We love tacos.
- Prepared CAULIFLOWER RICE (see linked recipe; it’s so easy!)
- Mixed Greens (lettuce, arugula, spinach)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1/2 medium red or yellow onion
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Add-Ins | Toppings | Garnish
- 1 lime or lemon
- Your choice meat or veggie crumbles (optional)
- Plain Greek Yogurt (Fage 2% is my favorite)
- Jalapeños or other peppers
- Prepare cauliflower rice (HOW TO HERE) in large wok or skillet. Then set aside in a large bowl.
- If you’re using meat or veggie crumbles prepare that in skillet.
- Meanwhile, heat beans and corn. I use the microwave, but you can easily use the stovetop. *Note: You can actually cook these together if your family likes both!*
- Chop tomatoes, onions, bell peppers.
- Slice lemon/lime and avocados.
- Shred cheese.
Here’s what I truly love about this recipe: I can meal prep all of these ingredients on the weekend. Then, on the crazy weeknights, I can reheat the cauliflower rice, beans and corn, and meat/veggie crumbles and then place them on the table for a quick weeknight meal!
Mom Note: I actually could leave this to my children to get on the table and help transfer responsibility to them! #momvictory
Each of us in our home prefers different toppings so this method is absolutely wonderful for all our palates and it looks bright and colorful across our table!
I don’t count calories. I’ve tried this method before and it leaves me exhausted. With FIXATE, I count containers. If you want more information on this, check out my support and accountability group BREAKTHROUGH.
I measure out my portions like this:
- Cauliflower rice = 1Green
- Extra veggie toppings = 1 Green
- Black bean + corn mix = 1 Yellow
- Veggie crumbles + Greek yogurt = 1 Red
- Shredded cheese + Avocado = 1 Blue
More Recipes for You
Friend, Each recipe I share here is meant to help you create healthy options for busy families. Looking for more recipes, find them here or in the menu bar.
Friend, I would love to hear how this recipe goes for your family! Leave a comment below, tag me on social media! And, of course, click the share button and let others know how much you loved this!
Come find me on IG or Facebook and let’s connect and spur one another forward in this journey!
Blessings from my kitchen to yours,